Monday, December 26, 2011

DIY PC Tower Case Using LED Christmas Lights & USB Cable

Lighting up the internals of your PC may be a bit geeky but it doesn't have to be expensive. Taking advantage of post-Christmas decoration sales, you can light up your PC tower for under five bucks. After returning a gift to Target today, I checked out the Christmas section to see what they had left. Turns out they have a TON of left over battery powered LED strands and are selling them for only $3.50 each! I grabbed a blue and multi-colored strand and headed home to warm up my new soldering iron. I've been wanting to light up my tower for awhile now but figured it would be too expensive, but this really worked well. After cutting the LEDs off the battery pack and chopping a USB power cable in half; I soldered the two wires on the LEDs to the black and red wires of the USB. After testing it with a USB AC adapter (to not fry my PC), I strung them inside my tower, put the USB cable through an extra slot in the back and plugged them in. My case is now glowing blue after spending only a few bucks and 30 minutes of my time.





No comments:

Post a Comment